Re: Fw: Re: Europa Installation

Subject: Re: Fw: Re: Europa Installation
From: Wilksch Airmotive <mark@wilksch.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2000 12:43:37
Dear Rob, Paul etc

These are from the Rotax brochure and/or Andy Draper (all in lbs):

Rotax per brochure -123.0
Oil cooler hozes and fittings -3.6
Coolant Radiator hoses and fittings -4.4
Cooling duct Assembly -3.3
Europa exhaust system for 912 -11.0
Oil Tank and fittings -4.0
Battery - front mounted -11.0
Arplast fixed pitch -10.0

That brings us up to 170lb which is the figure I have always used.
Add say 12lb for oil and coolant? = 182lbs

The 912 is only a small lump but there are lots of fiddly bits to add on and
tote up the weight.

The WAM-120 comes tp 247 + say 10lb for heavier (direct drive) propeller
257

Delta = 257-182 = 75lbs

For the 914 including control box and actuator, sensors etc add say 20lb so
the delta comes down to 55lbs.

My conclusion is that a lightly built WAM-120 mono Europa can have a 500lb
payload.
That will drop by about 40lb if its a tri-gear which could be a problem for
some people.

Now what I want to know is how much weight the best of the taildragger
conversions can save?
What are the claims?

Hope this helps Paul and others fine tune their estimates.

Regards.......MARK WILKSCH

PS:  I am suspicious that the Europa exhaust weight.  I picked up Donald
Kestertons and it felt like more than 11lbs but no scales were to hand