Re: Re: Europa Installation

Subject: Re: Re: Europa Installation
From: Rob Waters <robw@iprolink.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2000 18:30:18
Ed,

I see that you didn't get an answer to your question about installed
weight. I asked the same question some time ago, and also got no answer.
Diesel engines promise a great number of advantages for aircraft, but
for smaller designs like the Europa, I suspect there will be a weight
penalty. The higher internal combustion pressures of compression
ignition engines normally require greater strength, and therefore more
material. Also this engine has a turbocharger plus a supercharger. The
Wilksch web site shows a target weight of 100kg but it's not clear if
that is installed weight, or just engine weight. Supposing it's
installed weight, the Wilksch engine would be about 30% heavier than a
Rotax 912S or a Jabiru 3300, or about 15% heavier than a Rotax 914, but
then it puts out a little more power as well. If the Wilksch installed
weight including accessories, oil and coolant is more than 100kg, then
the difference could be greater. For many people the extra weight is not
a problem, especially if they fly solo most of the time, and the many
other advantages of the diesel will make it attractive to them. If
anyone who didn't see the engines on display at Cranfield, I have some
pictures that I'll add to the site where I've posted the other engine
pics.

Rob Waters