Re: Prague trip

Subject: Re: Prague trip
From: Alan D Stewart <alan.stewart@cableinet.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2000 13:02:42

Congratulations to all for achieving this, incident free.
It's heartening to know that several Europa's can make such a long
trip together, safely and economically.

I have some figures of my own from recent expeditions. I think a clear
lesson to be learned from analysis of the published figures is that a
reduced power settings brings increased economy. An overall target of
105 knots ground speed, seems to yield a figure just under 14 litres/hr.

Reducing that by 10 knots seems to result in a value closer to 11 litres/hr
and adds roughly 4 mpg to efficiency (>10%).

N.B. My own figures probably appear surprisingly good due to very favourable
flying conditions on the days in question (ie. Wind strength aloft has a
very
significant effect on overall performance)

BWFX  (Europa 'Classic' 912, unmodified):
Recent cross country performance:

* Time figures are overhead-overhead field

Rayne (Essex) - Polperro (Cornwall) 9th April 2000

Outbound: 1hr 50 min wind neg.
Return: 1hr 50 min wind neg.
Distance: 250 statute each way (estimate includes 2% error)
Av Spd: 136 1/2 mph (118 kts)
Still air mpg: 37 mpg
Fuel use: 16 litres/hr
RPM: circa 5000 - 5200 (Flydat)

Rayne (Essex) - Blair Atholl (Highlands, Scotland) 12th - 14th May 2000

Outbound: 2hrs 39 min
Return: 3hrs 01 min
Distance: approx 395 statute miles each way (routing includes
additional 4% for error)

Av Spd up: 152 mph  (132 kts) tailwind assisted (10-15 mph??)
RPM up: 5200 -5300
Fuel use up: 49 litres (c 18 litres/hr)

Av Spd down: 131 mph  (114 kts) slight headwind (5 mph??)
RPM down: 5000 -5200
Fuel use down: 49 litres (c 16 litres/hr)

Av. MPG figure: 36 1/2 mpg

NB. Tank capacity in main is circa 70 litres useable (larger than average)