brake fluid for the Trigear

Subject: brake fluid for the Trigear
From: 11323@auswaertigesamt.de
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2000 10:49:38
When I was flying my Trigear to Southern France over the weekend
I had a failure of one brake: the brake line jumped off the elbow
fitting on the port wheel.

We fixed the leak but doing so we had lost all hydraulic fluid in
the brake line and cylinder. (The Trigear does brake with rose-colored
hydraulic fluid as opposed to car-type brake fluid on the monowheel).

I then filled the system with synthetic motor oil and flew her home,
doing three landings on the way. I can confirm that engine oil is as
good as hydraulic oil - only thing I am wondering about: Did I harm
the seals with the different oil ? Or will everything just be fine
after I flush and replenish with hydraulic oil ?

Sincerely,

<Thomas, N81EU>

see our new website under http://www.thomas.scherer.com