Re: Prague trip

Subject: Re: Prague trip
From: mike.cater <mike.cater@talk21.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 18:36:38
Yes, I should have qualified the figures I published with the following,
The total distance quoted was taken from the GPS routes stored and used.
This can only be the minimum distance flown. As Graham points out we
certainly had to fly round a couple of large storms on the leg out to
Karlovy, just as we had to fly round a large shower when returning to Spa.
This together with descent and circuit patterns could easily have increased
the distance actualy covered to 1725 Nm. The flying time we record is from
our Hobbs meter which cuts in when the pitot pressure is that of 35kts. This
means that no taxiing is included. However it does require that my
arithmetic is reasonable ! and on closer inspection I find to my shame that
the total times add up to 17.26H. Sorree.
The fuel used was I think accurate although it does rely on us refilling
when we got back from cans, to the same reading on our capacitance guage. I
conceed that we could have a discrepancy here, but certainly no more than a
couple of litres making the total fuel used up to 207L.
We normally cruise at an indicated 105kts at 4800 rpm.
Thus the average speed was probably more like 1725/17.26 = 100kts, and the
fuel consumption could have been as much as 207/17.26 = 12L/H.
I'm still very happy with the trip, the aeroplane and these figures,
although just like my school reports used to say, where mathematics is
concerned " I could do better"!!
I look forward to seeing some of you at Cranfield.
All the best
Mike Cater G-BVOW #84