Hot Cockpit

Subject: Hot Cockpit
From: gstout@us.ibm.com
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 1999 08:38:32

This past weekend I put a couple of hours on my Europa, and frankly the flight
was very uncomfortable.  Here in Florida the temperature at mid-day is about 95
(F), with 95% humidity.  I was perspiring so much my clothes were soaked through
to my skivvies, and it occurred to me that I might have experienced a mild form
of "heat prostration".  This definitely isn't a good thing to happen to a pilot.
I've concluded I've got to get more ventilation / air flow into the cockpit to
cool me off.

Presently I have a NACA type air duct on each side of the fuselage, about where
my knees are located, but the volume of air they supply isn't enough.  Does
anyone out there have some good ideas for a post-completion, retro-fit air flow
system?  Since my plane is completed and nicely painted, I'm reluctant to start
cutting, grinding, bonding, sanding, into my fuselage.  How about some gizmo
that glues onto the windscreen, or side canopies which would simply require
drilling a hole into the perspex, and gluing on some sort of adjustable vent.
Any ideas would be much appreciated!

Regards,
Garry
(813) 878-3929