TRIMMING aileron clearance

Subject: TRIMMING aileron clearance
From: Fergus Kyle <fkyle@bigwave.ca>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 10:45:07
Cheers:
     This for the classic wing builder, I beg.
     Slow, yes, but unsteady.....I am now at the stage of checking both
ailerons after installation, having jostled the @#$%
& hinges into the
ideal position.
      I quote from my Europa wing kit, page 8 - 11, Issue 3/17Jan96:

   "Ensure aileron travel of 25deg up and 22deg down is available. Trim
the wing's top skin flange as required but to a minimum of 6mm (1/4").
The final travel............."

    Now is that 6mm (1/4") the resultant minimum flange width, or is it
the clearance between the upper flange and the aileron upper surface?
The latter seems excessive to me, but then the former is a hell of a
long way from the aileron - somebody must really be askew to need that
much correction......

     Keeping a sane aerodynamic azppreciation of the device, I believe
the least sky between the edge and the surface maintains the least
"leakage" and therefore the least loss of lift throughout travel. In
fact I think I saw Tim Prowse's craft with soft sealing ribbon installed
along the aileron slot...... really for speed enhancement. I WAS going
to temporarily slap sandpaper onto the upper aileron radius and
oscillate the aileron thru travel to match surfaces correctly (having
care to leave space for finished surface of course).

    Well, that's my boring dilemma for this week. But a crisp reply
would be most appreciated. By the way, I opted for Proprietary Software
Systems "Sport" model Angle of Attack sensor/indicator. It installs
easily in the wing IF you have left some means of entering the tip area.
I plan to use it for landings, takeoff, endurance testing, best glide
(hope we don't need that) and any other Best Lift/Drag Ratio need.

Happy Landings,
Ferg (#A064)