RE: Rotax 914 Hot Starts

Subject: RE: Rotax 914 Hot Starts
From: Putz Klaus MED/GRZ <klaus.putz@avl.co.at>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 15:56:03
>Has anyone with a Rotax 914 experienced difficulty restarting their engine
        >when hot?  Although my plane is not yet flying, I have on numerous
        >occasions started the engine and taxied around the airport.  The
engine has
        >always started immediately within one or two revolutions of the
prop.
        >Yesterday I taxied around for about 15 minutes, shut it down and
then
        >attempted a restart about 10 minutes later.  It simply wouldn't
start.
        >After allowing the engine to cool down, it restarted just fine.
Has anyone
        >experience this with their 914, and have they found a solution to
the
        >problem?

        >Regards,
        >Garry
        >(813) 878-3929, TieLine 427-3929
        >FAX (813) 878-7976, Internet ID Gstout@us.ibm.com

        Garry,

You've found something very typical with Rotax 914 engines but your subject
is a little bit misleading.
        Commonly the problem occurs on engines shut down rather hot and
restarted after some delay  - around the 10 minutes you've mentioned.
        I've never seen this problem restarting immediately after shutdown.
        Many of the Super Dimona ( Katana Xtreme) users have this experience
- and there exist several rules how to restart "correct" - but we
        have tried them all on our Club Super Dimona - with little success.
Each pilot gets caught in this trap - even those who know the only rule !
We've observed the same on our kit #250 during engine test runs.

        Maybe there is a Rotax 914 wizzard out there who could give us the
hint how to do it right .
I think all the 914 user would be very thankful if he'd publish his know how
!
        Me too !

        Will publish when I've found a rule that works.

        Regards,
        Klaus