Audio mixer

Subject: Audio mixer
From: Robert L. Nuckolls III <nuckolls@aeroelectric.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 22:39:01

>I want to connect two radio's together so that I can switch to either for
>transmit and receive, with the option to receive on both.  I know audio
>panels are available commercially, but they usually contain Markers ADF etc
>which I do not need, not to mention the cost.

>The only problem I have encountered, is feeding the two audio outputs into
>one speaker at the same time.  Some form of isolation circuit is required
>to prevent the two radios trying to drive each other backwards, so to
>speak.

  Are  you really considering a "speaker"?  Don't know many homebuilts
  with sufficiently low cabin noise to allow comfortable use of speakers.
  Here's something I've used on several simple systems (two receivers).
  Use a 47 ohm, 1/2 watt resistor in series with EACH radio's headset
  output to drive both headsets in paralle.  This has the effect of cutting
  output voltage from each receiver by 1/2 but it's generally made up
  quite easily by turning up the volume. I genrally don't bother to put
  switches in the headset lines from each radio and choose to control
  each radio by setting its volume control.

  Use a two-pole, two position switch to flip the microphone audio and
  press-to-talk lines between the two transmitters.  This is very easy
  to implement and see how it works before you go out and buy/build
  an isolation amplifier.

       Bob . . .
                       ////
                      (o o)