Re: Tri-Gear Changeover

Subject: Re: Tri-Gear Changeover
From: Fillinger@aol.com
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 1998 23:25:40
Tony --

I have the tri-gear, and the only changes are 1) different landing gear frame;
2) addition of wood cross-members (to which the main gear legs attach) in the
baggage bay area on either side of the central tunnel; 3) electric flaps
(useable on the monowheel, but minus the safety feature); and 4) toe brakes.

You suggest having a "convertible," but the engine needs to be removed, as do
the monowheel and outriggers, and the brake lines hooked up, so it's not
practical. Then there's the issue of certification.  In the U.S.,  it would be
complicated.  Where you are, may so also.  Unless you need the monowheel for
short, unimproved strips, maybe the price for the changeover is reasonable
enough to just make it a trike.  I've seen various figures for the performance
hit, but all 10 knots or less.  In the case of a "convertible," you'll have
the tail wheel and outrigger hardware hanging in the breeze, and a big hole
where the monowheel goes, plus the dead weight of the toe brakes and main gear
ribs, so the gap would be narrower yet.

Regards,
Fred Fillinger, A063

<< At the same time could you let me know
 what would be involved in turning my a/c into a tri-gear, both in terms
 of mods and price? My goal as well as touring is to teach my kids to fly
 and I figure a tricycle may be a safer and less stressful experience
 both for them and me. I hear that it can be moded such that I can have
 both? Is this correct,and if so what information can you offer on this
 option? >>