Re: Stiff Roll Controls

Subject: Re: Stiff Roll Controls
From: John Bean <JohnBean@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 03:35:35
It seems that the discussion on stiffness in the roll tubes of the cockpit
module are being aimed at two differing circumstances ie. temperature
dependent and just stiffness, also I suspect that there is more than one
area of possible difficulty being discussed.

So far I have noted that the following areas have been alluded to

1) Stiffness due to misalignment with respect to one or both bearings
logitudinally. (In pitch, roll or a combination of both with respect to the
relevent bearing(s))

2) Stiffness caused by a bearing/tube interface - hole in bearing too small
or tube large.

3) Stiffness caused by pinching between front and rear bearings

4) Stiffness caused by the front bearing being pinched

Not yet listed is a possible binding if the tube(s) are not straight and
true or slightly out of round.

Some of the remedys seem to be relevent to the particular problem the
sender is thinking of but not what the reciever may need a solution to.
Please could ideas be addressed to the relevent difficulty to help as I
initially thought that all were speaking of the same problem and it took
some time for the penny to drop that all was not the same.

Any ideas please on the stiffness caused by the front bearing being pinched
- module not yet bonded in?

John