Re: Stiff Roll Controls

Subject: Re: Stiff Roll Controls
From: Kenneth S. Whiteley <ken@kenwhit.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 1998 09:24:50
In message <199801110032.AAA16786@ns1.avnet.co.uk>, Miles McCallum
<milesm@avnet.co.uk> writes
>snip
>
> grinding paste (no matter how fine) between mating
>>parts is much more likely to result in a
>
>snip
>>Another possibility would be to use an adjustable reamer, if one was
>>available in an appropriate size. This would be a quite expensive appro
>
> would not an appropriately sized flapwheel and a light hand accomplish>

If you have the Tufnol bearing uninstalled, the best method is to set it
up in a 4-jaw chuck in a lathe and skim it out. Before installation, my
rear bearings were slightly too tight and I machined them out slightly
and introduced a grease retention groove (2mm wide and 1mm deep) and a
grease nipple. The front bearings were remanufactured using a larger
piece of Tufnol so as to enable the incorporation of grease nipples and
were also machined with grease retention grooves. I suspect that the
rear grease nipples will be fairly inaccessible, but at least they serve
to keep the bearings topped up with grease until the module is installed
into the fuselage.

Ken Whiteley