Stiff roll controls

Subject: Stiff roll controls
From: BRYNALL <BRYNALL@aol.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 1998 07:50:24
Further to Graham Singleton's comments about my self tightening roll control.
Before reworking the clearances I was able to confirm that it was a
temperature induced problem by carefull application of heat to the torque tube
between the Tufnoll bearings.
   I had made a nice sliding fit on the control stick bearing which worked
smoothly in warm environment. Now!  Whilst the tufnol bearing is snugly
attached inside the cockpit module, all of that aluminium is dangling arround
in a colder environment, and aluminium is a great heat sink material with a
high coefficient of contraction. Conserquently I finished with disc brake, not
a bearing.
   Possibly, the higher cockpit temperature on the controlstick would offset
some of the torque tube chill in flight. I for one do not want to find out.
I endorse Graham's moral: A good engineeriing fit aint good.