More questions ??

Subject: More questions ??
From: JohnJMoran <JohnJMoran@aol.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 1998 18:01:25

Is it worthwhile to cut the access and viewing holes near the tail?  I've been
simulating one-armed access by reaching around the bottom molding with the top
removed and I haven't been able to do much this way (guess I'm not very uni-
dextrous).  Is the access hole just to hold an inspection mirror or can one
really avoid climbing through the D by adding these holes?

As for climbing through the "D", I  put the top in place temporarily and tried
it. Pretty awkward, even without the gas filler hose in place. Would it be
worthwhile to make a carpet covered plywood piece which fits between the
headrests (with  crosspieces extending in front of and behind the headrests to
anchor it), extending over the bottom edge of the D  to make access a little
easier?

I expect to use the original tailwheel assembly with the addition of my idler
plate, etc.   So, does one remove the complete tailwheel assembly during  a
condition inspection in order to lubricate the lower thrust bearing?  Other
than inspecting things generally, adding grease via the fitting, and releasing
the rudder cables so they can be pulled forward for inspection, what else
requires service after crawling through the D?

Moving along alphabetically, I made "E" shaped pieces to retain grommets on
the rudder pedal tubes where they go through the firewall. The E's will be
overlapped, one from the top, the other from the bottom, then bolted fore and
aft. Seems to need a frame of 1/8 ply bonded around the hole to space the E's
away from the firewall by the grommet's thickness, so it's beginning to get
complicated.   Is there a better way to seal these holes?

Regards,    John          A044                    Newtown, CT