Re: Europa XS Details

Subject: Re: Europa XS Details
From: John O'Connor <OCONNORJ@btmaa.bel.alcatel.be>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 1997 10:58:00

> A complete new firewall forward has been developed including sleeker cowlings
> giving improved cooling with lower drag, greater aerodynamic efficiency,
> increased prop clearance and a better over the nose visibility.  Outrigger
> fairings and a new lower drag tailwheel assembly have resulted in a 200 mph
> top
> speed for the Rotax 914 powered Europa.

What are the engine options for the XS then?

> An optional secondary long range fuel tank is available that will push the
> Europa?s range to over 1000 nautical miles / 1150 statute miles / 1850
> kilometres.  In economy cruise the Europa will return 50 miles per gallon / 18
> kilometre per litre on ordinary 4 star petrol.

Presumably that 1000nm comes at the economy cruise speed?

Is the economy cruise speed increased over the standard Europa?
If not, it could take a very long time to exgaust the fuel. :-)

> Baggage space in the XS has been more than doubled opening up the possibility
of
> fitting a child?s seat in the rear area.

Hmmm, what size of child? (Age/height/weight?) How readily demountable
would a child seat be?

Is there a new info pack for the XS? If so what are the ordering
details for this?

When and will demo flights be available?

The performance and range figures indicate that the XS could be
used for more than just recreational flight. In which case a
VMC limitation looks a little restrictive. Europa have commented
that the Europa is intended as a VFR aircraft. The only reason
that I have seen stated is the extra weight of an IFR panel. Are
there other reasons? A combination of the extra payload and the
reduced weight of some available engine options would suggest
that the weight should no longer be a problem. After all, the XS
will be sold in markets where IFR in homebuilts is allowed and
even in the UK I understand that a permit is not the only way to
operate a homebuilt.

Regards

John