Re: Europa XS Details

Subject: Re: Europa XS Details
From: Graham Singleton <100421.2123@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 1997 20:24:46
>>Colin Chapman of Lotus (we'll gloss over the occasions in Grands Prix when
he added a little too much lightness and the thing broke).

>> And what was his connection with the Europa? <<<<

There was a tenuous connection. Lotus designed and tested a small air cooled
aircraft engine. The prop shaft was driven off the camshaft. Turned out to be
not a good idea but Colin Chapman commisioned the Messiah (Burt Rutan) to design
a microlight. It flew shorlty after Colin's untimely death. Subsequently our
leader managed a company formed to produce the aircraft, not feasible although
it did fly nicely when eventually given a half decent engine. Ivan learned an
awful lot, (he's good at learning, usually) and not too long after that formed
Europa.

Another connection springs to mind, Ivan originally designed his Twin EZ Long EZ
around the Lotus engine. Its anouncement coincided with Rutan's unveiling of the
very sexy looking Beech Starship.

Graham