Europa-List: Re: XS Fuel Tank Kiwi Mod

Subject: Europa-List: Re: XS Fuel Tank Kiwi Mod
From: John Wighton <john@wighton.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2014 13:19:16

Sorry to be seen as a spoil sport.  The intention was to highlight a very real
problem- mods and improvements that are excellently executed but may not
maintain
a level of safety in relation to the original design.  The main point, in
this instance, is that a pressure test is a no-brainer (how else do you know it
will maintain its contents under all flight conditions?).

Yes in the UK we do have a formal system of approving modifications.  Yes it
would
be great to have the Experimental system (as per US).  That system allows
for great innovation and enables developers to get their aircraft flying without
much of the cost that has to be incurred in the UK (and other countries which
follow our system, of which there are many).  What is does not do is allow
people to do what they want.  Basic testing and calculations can not be
circumnavigated
with risk of a failure.  Failures kill people.

Suggesting that a test may be required for a fuel tank may seem like a dampener
to you.  To me, as an aeronautical engineer, it is a mandatory action. Whats
more it costs nothing to do it.  As l say a no-brainer.

--------
John Wighton
Europa XS trigear G-IPOD

Read this topic online here: