Re: Europa-List: Time to Paint?

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Time to Paint?
From: ALAN YERLY <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 10:00:34
After nearly eight of these, flying the plane in the raw has pro's and
cons.

Pro:
If you are concerned that the flying qualities are bad and extensive
exterior mods will need to be made, don't paint.
On the Tri-gear, the common mistake is to not allow the moldings to
flex.  Flying the gear legs unpainted can show you where you made a
mistake.
Fiberglass requires clearancing for filler and paint.  Your wing fillets
will require the sides to be filled to get a good fit.  Filler accepts
dirt/grease very well.
Paint adds weight.
Jabiru cooling is a real problem, so do your homework with the other Jab
owners to get your cowl right.  Biggest problem is the exit area and oil
cooler allowing the lower cowl to increase pressure.  My opinion.

Cons:
Flight characteristics of the stab are different unless smooth and
painted.  Not bad, but noticeable.
A Europa which has been built square has rarely needed exterior work,
and if it did, just repaint the area.
Leaks are easy to clean up and don't ruin polyurethane paint.
The Europa wing is susceptible to roughness.  If you fly the wing raw
with bumps, don't lift off below 55 knots or she will settle.
With the conventional gear being that far forward and short, the bounces
are, well, sporty to say the least.  Try 10-15 degrees of flap to aid in
early control.

General:
Do your work properly during the pre-finishing phase such as:
Make sure all your electrical, fuel and plumbing is correct, tight and
leak free before paint.
Test everything and calibrate your fuel system and make sure the radios
and electrical do-dads all work.
If a clearance looks tight, fill and sand the area and make sure it
clears with allowances for paint.
A Jabiru rarely sheds oil and grease during engine operations.
Clearance your exhaust well, make sure your oil breather is operating
and you won't have problems.

I have always felt that a good flying airplane is assured when the plane
owner makes sure every system is perfect prior to going on to the next
step.  Flaps, ailerons, stab and trim systems should be tight and ready
to fly.  Shim your aileron QD's and adjust your linkages.  Make sure
your liquid systems are tight.  Fill the engine with oil and turn it
over, start it if you like and check the systems.  Now is the time to
find your wiring problems and ensure all is well. If you are going to
paint before you fly, you will have the burden of making sure your work
is correct.

When is the plane ready to fly...When you are ready to knock on the test
pilots door and tell his wife he is dead, and there was nothing you
could have done to better prepare the aircraft to prevent it.

That philosophy will give you an honest airplane.  You will still have
little electrical do-dad glitches and one component not talking to
another, but the engine and flight systems will be sound.

Bud Yerly
Custom Flight Creations
(813) 653-4989