Re: Europa-List: Time to Paint?

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Time to Paint?
From: acrojim@cfl.rr.com
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 08:35:23

Mike

When we completed our monowheel, we completed painting the a/c before we had our
first flight. It was still in the shop, and we were in the right frame of mind
to complete the plane with a coat of paint. Once we started flying, we never
had to look back.

A few years later we built a Van's RV 7A, once the a/c was ready to fly, we made
the decision to fly off the 40 hours, before painting.. We ended up with almost
200 hours before we started the paint process.

What a mistake...... We had to bring the a/c back into the shop clean off the
grime
and gunk, then we had to take off all the fairing, cowling, wheel paints,
etc (you get the picture)
We had to seal off the cockpit area, as the panel was installed, It took about
a week of all these preparations before we could move the plane to the shop.
Then
about a week of prep work before we could start painting.

I would say we lost about six weeks before the plane was ready to fly again...

Jim and Augustene Brown