Europa-List: Time to Paint?

Subject: Europa-List: Time to Paint?
From: Erich Trombley <erichdtrombley@juno.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2008 17:11:40

I chose to fly my plane in primer prior to painting it a year later.  I used K36
Primer made by PPG, which is dark gray in color.  The reason for flying in
primer
was the same as others; not wanting to make changes to a plane after it
has been painted.  Since I live in Las Vegas, NV which is a rather warm climate,
I was fairly certain I would be making changes to the cowling (my own design)
in an effort to keep it cool on the ground.

I did not experience any warping of the flying surfaces or any part of the plane
for that matter.  However, it is more work to go this route than I originally
though.  I was under the impression I would be able to clean the primer and
then prep it for painting.  Not so.  My mentor (Lynn Elsner )required that I
first
wash the old primer to remove as much of the surface contamination and then
completely sand off all of the old primer and apply a fresh coat of primer
prior to prepping it for paint.  While it was a considerable effort to primer
the plane effectively twice, flying in primer was the right call for me.

Erich Trombley
N28ET Classic Mono 914

A New Way to Get Free & Discounted Offers -- FreeInternet.com!
Visit http://offers.juno.com/TGL1111/?u=http://www.freeinternet.com