Taildragger conversion

Subject: Taildragger conversion
From: mike.cater <mike.cater@talk21.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 13:22:06

Hi Guys
I have been waiting and hoping that someone would produce and market a
modification kit to convert our "classic" into a true "taildragger" with
two wheels at the front. Has this happened? and if so could someone
please provide me with contact details.
The benefits would seem to be,
1) Improved lateral stability on both take off and landing, due to the
two wheels.
2) Improved directional stability on both take off and landing, due to
the two wheels.
3) Improved taxiing and turning on the ground because differential
brakes could be fitted.
4) Further improved lateral stability on take off because independent
flap adjustment would permit the use of lower flap giving consequent
improvement in aileron control.
5) Improved rigging and derigging due to there being no need for a
"dolly"
6) Improved "cockpit comfort" due to it being possible to reduce the
size of the central tunnel.
The only disadvantage might be a small reduction in speed and economy
due to increased drag. However having flown alongside a couple of
"nosewheel" versions, I am not convinced that the loss would be much.
Flying the monowheel will always be something of a challenge, the normal
taildragger configuration is well proven and well liked by many
aviators. Am I alone in this view.
Regards
Mike Cater. G-BVOW  #84 (300+ hours)