Re: Taildragger conversion

Subject: Re: Taildragger conversion
From: BRYNALL@aol.com
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 17:16:37
Gary,

you wrote.........why are there so many
ground-handling related accidents in the UK, all of which are mono-wheels

Responding to your question about the differences between Ground handling in
the UK and Florida,I think it comes down to a variety of reasons all of which
you have touched on.

One of the main reasons for selecting a Mono Europa in the UK is that short,
difficult runways are the only ones available to the majority of GA flyers.
Our type of aeroplane is one of few that will lift full fuel, two men and a
load of luggage in and out of these fields.
 Having done that, it is capable of creaming along at a very respectable
speed with low fuel cost. Our gas costs over a pound per litre at the
airfield, More than 1.6 dollars/litre. (about 4 litres to your gallon). If we
fly a 172 it would cost us 60 dollars an hour for fuel.

We can go for weeks looking for decent flying weather to match our time off.
Frequently we fly in weather which is far from perfect because waiting for
perfection would be impracticable. Runway choices are often limited, and we
have to learn to deal with crosswinds limits, etc., or stay on the ground.

All in all the mono Europa is a first class aeroplane for dealing with this
very wide spec.
You should have seen the Europas landing in the 15 knot Xwind at last years
PFA rally to appreciate it.

Don't get me wrong! I love flying in Florida, I will be there again in June
and I hope you are going to give me a ride in 20S, but I know that you do not
have the flying pressures that we have. It is so nice to be part of your
special airfield ambience where you can genuinely say "what the heck, it's
not so good today, we will leave it till tomorrow."

Yes! We do read of occasional ground loops which have caused prop dings, over
here. but perhaps this could be put down to trying to get a bit of flying in
which is ambitious for the weather or experience. Unfortunately any damage to
the prop in these circumstances makes it more newsworthy.

I hope that this helps your understanding, with very best regards ... Bryan
Allsop