Re: Europa-List: Mod 53

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Mod 53
From: Kingsley Hurst <kingsnjan@westnet.com.au>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2021 07:29:02
Thank you David.  You have confirmed exactly what I thought ....... one side
 of the main tank has to be run dry to empty the LR tank.  That is exactly w
hat I don=99t like about the syphon idea.

I have never doubted it works but personally I like to have more than 8 or 1
0 litres in the main tank when the LR tank is empty.

Cheers
Kingsley

Sent from my iPhone

> On 29 Sep 2021, at 11:26 pm, davidjoyce@doctors.org.uk wrote:
>
> =EF=BB
> Kingsley, the syphon system means that the level in the long range tank re
mains the same as that in the main tank, and both LR tank and main tank will
 run dry at the same time, leaving you with some 10 litres in the reserve si
de.

>      Otherwise very much agree with your view of how useful it is in day t
rips out & return, allowing you to avoid having to refuel somewhere where th
ey only have Avgas

>      David Joyce, GXSDJ
>

>> On 2021-09-29 13:03, Kingsley Hurst wrote:

au>

>> William,
>>
>> I have a long range tank but I have never used the syphon method because I
 am unable to understand how all the fuel in the long range tank can be used
 without emptying one side of the main tank too.

>> In Australia, I mainly find the extra fuel capacity very handy for out an
d return flights where each leg is over 2 hrs and fuel is not readily availa
ble like in other countries.

>> In one Europa I have, the LR tank plumbs into the existing fuel system an
d the fuel can be transferred in flight after about 1.5 hrs by means of a fu
el pump under the baggage bay area making every litre available from that ta
nk while there is still plenty of fuel in the main tank.

>> In my other Europa, I don't have the same plumbing so I carry a spare fue
l pump with a hose and a piece of aluminium pipe.  The aluminium pipe is ins
erted into the LR tank and the pump plugs into a power outlet socket and dec
ants the fuel into the main tank via the normal filler neck.  On an out and r
eturn flight as just mentioned or a long one way flight, I transfer the fuel
 either at the destination or a convenient landing spot while we enjoy a cup
pa and a sandwich and/or carry out other functions required after being in t
he air for a considerable period of time.

>> It works well and I am very pleased I have it.
>>
>> Best regards
>> Kingsley in Oz
>>
>> bsp;      - The Europa-List Em= Use the Matronics List Features Navigat
or the many List utilities such as List&nbnbsp;Archive Search & Download, 7-
Day Browse,& Photoshare, and much much more: