Re: Europa-List: Mod 53

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Mod 53
From: Kingsley Hurst <kingsnjan@westnet.com.au>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2021 22:03:52

William,

I have a long range tank but I have never used the syphon method because
I am unable to understand how all the fuel in the long range tank can be
used without emptying one side of the main tank too.

In Australia, I mainly find the extra fuel capacity very handy for out
and return flights where each leg is over 2 hrs and fuel is not readily
available like in other countries.

In one Europa I have, the LR tank plumbs into the existing fuel system
and the fuel can be transferred in flight after about 1.5 hrs by means
of a fuel pump under the baggage bay area making every litre available
---From that tank while there is still plenty of fuel in the main tank.

In my other Europa, I don't have the same plumbing so I carry a spare
fuel pump with a hose and a piece of aluminium pipe. The aluminium pipe
is inserted into the LR tank and the pump plugs into a power outlet
socket and decants the fuel into the main tank via the normal filler
neck. On an out and return flight as just mentioned or a long one way
flight, I transfer the fuel either at the destination or a convenient
landing spot while we enjoy a cuppa and a sandwich and/or carry out
other functions required after being in the air for a considerable
period of time.

It works well and I am very pleased I have it.

Best regards
Kingsley in Oz