Re: Europa-List: Re: Question for European friends re E10 car fuel

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Question for European friends re E10 car fuel
From: Robert Marston <robertmarston@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 4 May 2021 13:41:58
Hi Steve,

I built and flew Europa Trigear G-CDBX and did have problems when I first s
tarted using fuel with Ethanol added.
My son (a Ryanair captain) and I took off from Southampton on a warm July d
ay. Everything was normal until about 1500ft the engine misfired and contin
ued to do so.
We returned to the airfield, removed the cowels, did an engine check and ev
erything seemed normal.  Again took off, and at about 1500 ft the misfire r
ecurred.  Returned to Southampton and landed safely.
I trailered the plane back to my home airfield of Shenstone.  There, I remo
ved the cowels, checked everything and could find no reason for the misfire
. I decided to fly it to see if I could reproduce the problem. After 2 or 3
 flights and perhaps 2 hours flying nothing happened until I was just retur
ning at Shenstone when the misfire occurred again.  I decide to carry on fl
ying but to an area where I knew there were lots of big fields, just in cas
e. I couldn=92t get the misfire to happen again and returned to Shenstone w
ithout further incident.
After landing I decided to put my hand through the inspection hatch and fee
l the carburettors.  To my surprise the float bowls were very hot, almost t
o hot to touch. This was the clue to the problem.  Next, I tied the tailpla
ne of the aircraft to our tractor to do some full power checks.  This time
after about 2 minutes, a severe misfire occurred.
I let the engine cool and repeated the test.  Again, after about 2 minutes
a severe misfire.  A couple of days I repeated the test and the engine misf
ired as expected.   I now knew I could repeat the fault and was narrowing d
own on the cause.  Next I drained the fuel and filled up with Avgas, no eth
anol.  This time after 2 minutes, no misfire. I continued the test and even
 after 5 minutes no misfire occurred.  Clearly, to me the problem was the h
igher vapour pressure of the ethanol.
The fix, I took a thin piece of aluminium to act as a heat shield between t
he very hot exhaust pipe and the carburettor bowls.  I fixed it by bolting
it under a nearby exhaust pipe bolt.  On feeling the carburettor bowls afte
r flight they now seemed much cooler. I continued using petrol + ethanol mi
x and during the following say 200 hours the problem never recurred.

Robert Marston