Europa-List: Re: Question for European friends re E10 car fuel

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Question for European friends re E10 car fuel
From: JonathanMilbank <jdmilbank@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 2 May 2021 14:24:16

Hi Dave,

My question is about Europa aircraft as a whole, although perhaps I should have
been more specific. Most people I know in the Europa family and several others
using Rotax engines in different aircraft types, have no qualms at all about
E10 in their engines. As you say, it's the "the fuel tank, fuel lines and
electric
pump" which give more concern.

But I've been informed that there's no such thing as ethanol free car petrol
such
as Esso Synergy Supreme and other "super unleaded" brands in the whole of
Scotland
and parts of Northern England, which all get their fuel from the Grangemouth
refinery regardless of brand name. From September this year, all car petrol
---From Grangemouth will continue to have ethanol of at least 5% and 10% in
ordinary unleaded.

Furthermore a friend's Eurofox experienced partial engine failure after take-off
due to using Esso Synergy Supreme from a local garage, probably stale fuel due
to low sales turnover. He only just managed to get back onto the runway
unscathed!
After flushing out the fuel system and filling with ordinary E5 unleaded,
there's never been another missed beat in his engine.

So my question remains to be answered by EU pilots and particularly Europa
owners
who have been using E10 for many years, as far as I know. Please let me know
if you've heard of any problems experienced by any pilot and/or Europa owner
after using E10 petrol for a long time. Problems not only to do with carburettor
icing and vapour lock, but also the fuel tank, fuel lines and electric pump.
Thank you.

Read this topic online here: