Re: Europa-List: Re: Is there any reason to have a separate battery and

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Is there any reason to have a separate battery and
From: Gilles Thesee <gilles@elixiraircraft.com>
Date: Wed, 13 May 2020 15:21:50
Le 13/05/2020  14:52, William Daniell a crit:
> /
> /
> /I have a 912 turbo with a skyview./
> /
> /
> /About once a flight my amps go up off the chart - 70a - ending up
> with a red x on the screen (no sparks or smoke :-)). After which the
> instrument comes alive and the amps reduce to normal 7-10 depending on
> the load. And remain normal thereafter./
> /
> /
> /When the amps are climbing the reading can be "reset" by turning off
> the alternator and then turning it back in again./
> /
> /
> /I have a hall effect sensor on the thick wire which charges the
> battery and this changes very little as on would expect./
> /
> /
> /I asked the europa and the aeroelectric forums and dynon. Several
> people said they had similar events. So having checked the wiring i
> assumed that this was a dynon bug. /
> /AND ....I always understood that the alternator was unable to produce
> more than 18A hence people adding external alternator. But is thus a
> fair assumption?/
> /
> /
> /Could it be a faulty regulator?/

Will,

Understand your concern.

I'd say an ammeter is not very useful as a *cockpit* instrument. An
alternator is physically /incapable /of supplying more than its
short-circuit current (21A for the Rotax).

What counts is *voltage* : under 12V, no charging, above 13+ V, system
is charging, above ~15V, overvoltage etc.

I cannot help you on the Dynon, since I never installed or used one, and
never bothered to read its manual.

Nevertheless, anytime you have an odd looking *instrument indication*,
the first thing to do is check what the *actual value* of the indicated
parameter is.

So the first thing to do is record or take note of the ship circuits
voltage with an idependent instrument. If you don't have a panel
voltmeter, your VHF certainly provides a voltage indication. Otherwise
you'll need a portable voltmeter or datalogger.

Only then will come the time to make assumptions as to what actually
occurs and what is at fault.

FWIW,

--
Best regards,