Re: Europa-List: Re: Is there any reason to have a separate battery and

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Is there any reason to have a separate battery and
From: Gilles Thesee <gilles@elixiraircraft.com>
Date: Wed, 13 May 2020 03:11:26

Le 13/05/2020  01:48, budyerly@msn.com a crit:
> That said, Duati regulators don't tend to over volt and a crowbar or any type
of over volt protection is not necessary either.
[...]
> The Ducati type voltage regulator normally fails in a safe mode (dead)
> preventing
a potential sparking mess....

Bud and all,

Not to interfere, but I'm taking the liberty of asking whether actually
real data do exist to support the above statements. Or are they just
opinions ?

What if a regulator "fails abnormally", or a sense or control wire gets
severed ? The alternator voltage can climb to 100V peak in millseconds
if something goes wrong.

As in the past some builders reported different modes of failures for
their Ducati voltage regulator, I was wondering...

An overvoltage protection is no big deal, I would advise to better play
safe.

BTW, just in case; some electro wizard homebuilders here might find
information on the Rotax/Ducati alternator here :

http://contrails.free.fr/elec_alt_rotax_en.php

Our study of the Rotax/Ducati voltage regulator will soon be fully
translated.

Any hard data to complement these webpages will be warmly welcomed.

--
Best regards,
Gilles