Re: Europa-List: Weight and balance

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Weight and balance
From: Fred Klein <freddythek10@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2019 16:34:29
I took my scales to the gym and put 1000 lb of barbells on them...

Sent from my iPhone

> On Mar 24, 2019, at 4:28 PM, Bill <europa10@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>
> Bud,
>
> I checked the measurements multiple times and also did as you noted below.
  Still get the same measurements using your method.  Guess I=99ve got
 a scale problem.  I will try some other scales with some friends at the air
port that have weighed other planes.
> Also got a note from Ivan warning against putting extra weight on the engi
ne so I won=99t be doing that.  Hopefully it=99s just my scales r
eading incorrectly at high weights.  I=99m also going to try loading t
hem up with known weights to check.

ver@matronics.com] On Behalf Of Bud Yerly
> Sent: Sunday, March 24, 2019 6:37 PM
> To: europa-list@matronics.com
> Subject: RE: Europa-List: Weight and balance
>
> Rain and frontal passages this time of year is always a concern for a day o
r so.

> I don=99t want to insult, but make sure you are measuring the correc
t joggle.  Basically it is the cowl line.  If you are using the front of you
r cowl or the joint line for an XS that would be about an inch and a half of
f if you are measuring from the joint line or cowl face.  The measurement fo
r the zero datum is not the cowl face.  It is the original prop flange dista
nce of the prototype Classic.

> The joggle on the molding of all Europas is 29.25 inches aft of the datum.
  Level the plane at the door sill or your level data point.  Drop a plumb b
ob from the left and right joggle and draw a line between them.  =46rom that
 line measure 29.25 inches forward of that horizontal line and you have the z
ero datum.  Measure then the main and tail wheel for the mono from that poin
t.

> Recalculate your datum using the above and take a hard look at the detail i
n chapter 6 of the POH and I believe you will solve your balance issue.

ronics.com> on behalf of Bill <europa10@bellsouth.net>
> Sent: Sunday, March 24, 2019 3:44:19 PM
> To: europa-list@matronics.com
> Subject: RE: Europa-List: Weight and balance
>
> Bud,
>
> Thanks for the response.
> Don=99t guess I=99ll get to stop by Sun-n-Fun this year as the
 boss has said NO even though we will be close going through Tampa on the 6t
h.
> Hope it doesn=99t flood you out like last year.
>

> Here=99s what I=99ve got:
>
> 912ULS
> Monowheel Classic with tail wheel mod and 1370 lbs. mod.
>
> With the plane level, using the front face of the cowling as station 0 per
 the manual.
> Tail wheel at station 208 (78.5 lbs.)
> Main wheel at station 46 (Manual says it should be around 47 to 47.5.  I
=99ve checked and doubled checked but still get 46 inches.) (683 lbs.)  T
hat extra 1 =93 15 inches would sure make a difference.
> Battery on top of the passenger foot well.
> Nothing in the rear other than ELT and strobe power supply under baggage b
ay.

> I=99ve checked the scales and they appear to be weighing correctly b
ut will check again.  They weigh correctly with me on them.

> I just finished a bracket that bolts to the gear box and plan on adding 30
 lbs. there to balance things out and keep CG within limits for most flight c
onfigurations.

> I will probably take it to the airport and get some of my buddies to doubl
e check me with another set of scales.

> Thanks,
> Bill

s equipped with a light weight wood prop and the battery in the rear, I woul
d expect that may happen.

> (Typically a mono tail wheel weight is around 80 pounds.  Your 30-40 pound
s sounds like you put in S-Tec servos from 1970 in the rear, made com wire a
nd antenna out of #2 cable to get that heavy.  Also, a Deutz tractor gasolat
or (about 10 pounds) from 1965 added also would increase the tail weight tha
t much.)

> Solutions:
> Move the battery in the rear to the pax footwell.
> A constant speed propeller is expensive but ideal if you need weight.  Air
master 332 3 blade 26 pounds)
> If you added heavy structure for autopilot servos that weighs 10 pounds ap
iece, get rid of them.

> Finally:
> Recheck your scales.  (I always stand on mine each to make sure each scale
 is dead on and still calibrated well right before I weigh.)
> Always make sure the tare weight of structure raising the tail to level fl
ight is subtracted out.  Check the math.
> Make sure the fuel tank is empty.
>
> Keep us posted.  It=99s probably just a math and weight error.
>
> Best Regards,
> Bud Yerly
> Custom Flight Creations
>
> Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 =93 40 pounds of weight added in the engine compartment to get the CG
 where I want it.  The current empty weight is 801 pounds.

> I would like to ask what others have experienced, where they added weights
, etc.  Currently I=99m planning on adding weight on top of the Rotax g
ear box as there are available bolt holes and room for the weight (5x5 steel
 bar).