Re: Europa-List: Considering the purchase of a 2nd hand kit

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Considering the purchase of a 2nd hand kit
From: Raimo Toivio <raimo.toivio@rwm.fi>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2017 18:03:40
Chris!

My comments also:

if your children happen start to learn to fly Europa Monowheel first, it
will be natural for them. As well as for you.
For experienced Cessna pilot, any tail wheeler is difficult and Mono is
almost impossible w/o a patient practise and a quolified instructor.

Think about our grand fathers: they all learned to fly very sensitive
tail wheelers. Was it "difficult" ?

For me - a VFR pilot - flying IMC was rather difficult before a long
practise. But my daughter, its natural straightforward.
Thats because she got controls first time at the age 4-years old. She
was too short to see out, so she learned to fly by instruments only.
Now, at the age 15, she is saying why to look out, we have instruments -
she is a natural IMC pilot and no matter about horizont or ground.

She took of my Mono first time from the right seat at the age of 12 and
last summer she landed  my mono totally by herself to our grass strip.

I have flown with my wife since 1997 and since 2007 with my Mono. She
has flown a lot w/o a license. Until we decided she must have a real
personal
license. It was very easy for her. After 30 hrs with Eurostar trike in
the flying school, we purchased her a tail wheeled bush plane. She was
capable direct to that,
because of a Mono experience.

I try to say, that if you have happend to learn to cyckle a three
wheeler, its quite difficult to change and learn to cykle a normal two
wheeler bi-cyckle.
But if you start with a bi-cyckle, like we all normally do,  its
natural, easy and you will never forget that skill.

***
I do not know how old are your children? Anyway - beware they will be a
lot older when your possible Mono is flyable (if you have to build it
first)!

I would like to recommend you: buy any tail wheeler and fly it with your
children. Meanwhile build your Mono very quickly - transition will be
then smoother.

Or - whats your best very best option - buy instantly a flyable Mono
and same time build your dream one!

You will have at least double fun!

Cheers, Raimo Toivio

Europa XS Mono OH-XRT #417 2007
LamcoCub M SE-VAY 2004
Bravo AS202T OH-NTM 1995
Antonov AN-2 TDSRM AirCamper HA-MDO 1987
Beechcraft C45 Twin OH-BLL 1953

37500 Lempaala
FINLAND

p +358-3-3753 777
m +358-40-590 1450

FLYING BREWERY
- only beer in the world brewed to aircraft standards
   by pilots to pilots and also to normal people

raimo.toivio@rwm.fi <mailto:raimo.toivio@rwm.fi>
www.flyingbreweryfinland.fi <http://www.flyingbreweryfinland.fi/>
www.rwm.fi <http://www.rwm.fi/>
30.3.2017, 17:01, Steven Pitt kirjoitti:

> Chris,
> I would echo David's comments. As Chairman of the Europa Club I will be at
> SunnFun
next week with Bud Yerly, who runs the US builder assistance program from
Seffner, Florida, so you are very close to plenty of advise, assistance and
knowledge on everything Europa.
> Back to David's comments on training. The trigear is ideal as a trainer, I
> have
flown mine off grass for many years with few issues, yes it is slower but it
is all relative.
> Come and meet with us and other Europa owners next week at Lakeland. We will
be there all 6 days, meet and greet is usually around 11.00 each day but you are
welcome any time.