RE: Europa-List: Rotax 914 Airbox / Fuel Pressure Differential

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Rotax 914 Airbox / Fuel Pressure Differential
From: davidjoyce@doctors.org.uk
Date: Fri, 27 May 2016 21:02:21

Brian, I bow (to the point of grovelling in fact!) to your infinitely
superior engineering knowledge, but have you in fact found a use for it
practically? A theoretical value is all very well but I have found no
practical value in 14 yrs flying a 914, other than the instances I cite,
and I am entirely persuaded of the value of looking out the front, to
avoid the other b*****rs coming straight at you whilst carefully working
their way along their rows of dials, trying to remember what they should
be saying or said last time they looked! One person's experience does
not a thesis make, but three occasions where a head on collision was
only averted by me turning abruptly whilst the other party cruised
straight on with no sign of having seen me, certainly persuades me of
the value of designing one's panel to be able to spend as much time
looking out as one would devote to it travelling down a busy motorway,
where at least the likely collision candidates are going in the same
direction! Looking at a gauge for impending problems , implies a lot of
eyes down attention

Regards, David

On 2016-05-27 20:07, Brian Davies wrote:

> I don't often disagree with you David but I think a fuel pressure gauge is a
very useful indicator of impending problems, including filter blockage and fuel
vaporisation. When the red light comes on it is all too late.

> Regards
>
> Brian
>
> FROM: owner-europa-list-server@matronics.com
> [mailto:owner-europa-list-server@matronics.com] ON BEHALF OF
> davidjoyce@doctors.org.uk
> SENT: 27 May 2016 19:36
> TO: europa-list@matronics.com
> SUBJECT: Re: Europa-List: Rotax 914 Airbox / Fuel Pressure Differential
>
> Phil, I am all for minimising the time you spend eyes down, (having
> experienced
5 mid air near misses with 3 probably fatal had I not been looking out!). >From
this point of view, I would doubt the value of a fuel pressure guage, as
opposed to a low fuel pressure warning light, which shines a bright red light
at you if pressure falls below a set level. To this end I sourced an on/off fuel
pressure switch set to light up if pressure fell below 3 psi (as I remember
it - but it should be easy enough to find a pressure well below normal running
pressure and above what will stop you flying). This worked well for me in
running
my main tank dry. I found it came on in plenty of time for me to switch
to reserve before the engine coughed. It would also, I guess, work well if you
had a partially clogged filter and needed to switch on pump 2 and reduce power
to limp home, as happened to the company demontrator in early days. I cannot
think of any very good reasons to need a fuel pressu

 re gauge
apart from these instances.

> Regards, David Joyce, GXSDJ
>
> On 2016-05-27 14:32, flyingphil2 wrote:
>

>> This is a question for those who have a 914 up at the front.
>>
>> With the 914uls the best way to monitor fuel pressure is to monitor the fuel
/ airbox differential pressure. I'm looking for a simple and 'tried and tested'
way of doing this. Can anyone recommend a setup for this? I see there are a
variety of dual gauges available and also gauges that do the calculation for
you (via sensors) and just have a single needle showing the differential.

>> Any input or advice of what other people have done would be welcome.
>>
>> Read this topic online here:
>>
>> http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=456603#456603 [1]
>>
>> ttp://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
>>
>> ics.com