Europa-List: Re: Reposition oil cooler on Classic Trigear

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Reposition oil cooler on Classic Trigear
From: Richard Lamprey <lamprey.richard@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 15 May 2016 05:25:11

Gordon,

Something to add...  Repositioning the oil cooler means that now you have the
whole
thing anchored to the lower cowling.  This makes lowering the lower cowling,
or taking it off completely, more complicated.  The cooler now has to be exactly
repositioned to enable the retaining screws from the outside to engage
with the anchor nuts on the cooler..  All of this is a real nuisance for oil
changes.

Maybe others have better solutions.

I now have an inspection panel directly beneath the oil reservoir to drain the
oil, without dropping the lower cowling.  It means that a certain amount of oil
in the cooler stays in oil changes, but this prevents opening the system with
the dreaded possibility of air entry into the system.  (I read somewhere in
a Rotax bulletin that leaving some residual oil in the cooler is OK in oil
changes).
I change oil every 30 hours.

So, one thing leads to another, but oil cooling is not a problem.

Best
Richard
Classic number 168, Monowheel, Rotax 912 UL, Warpdrive fixed, 600 hours, reg
5Y-LRY

Read this topic online here: