Re: Europa-List: Re: Reposition oil cooler on Classic Trigear

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Reposition oil cooler on Classic Trigear
From: Bud Yerly <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2016 17:36:05

Richard,
Leaving oil in the cooler is fine.  With the tank above the oil cooler, you
will sometimes get a bit of air in the feed line if you leave the oil drain
for a considerable period of time.  Otherwise, I've not had a problem with
the low oil coolers in either the Classic or XS.  I drain the tank, and
refill very quickly, then change the oil filter.

I am a fan of lowering the oil cooler to the front below the spinner on the
Classic and then glassing in a small bracket to hold the cooler.  Creighton
Smith and others have used long pip pins to hold the oil cooler in place for
quick lower cowl removal.  Alas, there is no quick cowl removal with the
Classic radiators, but we try by using nut plates and planning so it is
typically two pins, and four bolts and the lower cowl is off.

I open up the classic exit about two more inches on each side for hot
weather operations.  At cruise, this drives both the oil temp and head temps
below 200 F at low altitude and 160 at high altitude.  But climb is just
right at about 230 with an 80 HP engine.  So to be honest with you all, it
would help to install a small cowl flap to regulate the cruise temps and
keep them about 180-200 F.

Best Regards,
Bud Yerly