Re: Europa-List: Re: Charging System

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Charging System
From: Bud Yerly <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2015 09:03:30

Alan and All:

Good advise has been given by all.
I have had a number of Europa's that had problems with their charging.  Most
of it self inflicted, as we prefer to hook our Control wire to a switch to
be able to shut off our regulator.
It could be your stator is going south.  I doubt it, but it happened to me
as my 914 is one of those originally with the defective stator.  The ohm
meter checks of the stator will tell you that.  Get familiar with the Rotax
install manual, and SBs.

As for the regulator.  You will kill the regulator quickly if the control
wire is not reading battery voltage exactly.
If your regulator control wire reads 12 volts and your battery 12.5 v with
the engine off, in operation, during charging, the regulator will be reading
an under voltage (that 1/2 volt) and will attempt to increase the charge
rate to read 13.8 volts.  This rapidly overheats the regulator and it will
die.  The regulator recommended wiring is for the battery terminal (B+) the
Regulator (R) and the Control (C) all to be hooked together.  The control of
the alternator is to be through a switch breaker or as some of us do, a 30
amp relay with fuse/CB in line to allow us to control our alternator on /
off.

I to killed my first regulator by not noting the small voltage drop (running
a #18 wire from the control through a connector/plug to my buss via a split
master switch).  This small voltage drop kept my output below 13.8 and the
poor Ducati was killing itself to charge at its designed voltage.  It didn't
help my PC680 battery either.

Try hooking the regulator RBC wires together and check voltage.  It is a lot
cheaper than a $1000 stator and the 4-6 hours to change it minimum.  It will
keep your battery, and busses happy with the 13.8 volts.

Regards,
Bud Yerly