Re: Europa-List: Fuselage join

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Fuselage join
From: Fred Klein <fklein@orcasonline.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2015 08:59:29

> On Jan 7, 2015, at 6:29 AM, Greg Fuchs <gregoryf.flyboy@comcast.net>
wrote:

> My problem was opposite of Wills and more like yours, where the lower
fuselage skin surface was proud of the upper, and had to add spacers to
the lower fuselage jog at the clecos to hold the upper skin surface out
off the jog a bit. I have not glued the upper fuse to the lower yet, so
here's my question.

> The thin fiberglass spacer discs were stacked one atop the other,
until the upper and lower  fuse were in the same plane (no compensation
for glue thickness). My plan is to mix as little flox into the glue as
possible to keep it as viscous, but prevent running.  However, I am
still concerned the thickness of the glue might mess up the
'calibration' that was done.

> How did it go for you (or anyone else doing a similar procedure)? Did
you have to back compensate a bit?

Greg,

I used two thicknesses of spacers (regular, and thin [T]) to which I
used 5 min. epoxy to bond to flangewhen mixing the Redux, I set
a bit aside before adding flox and dabbed pure Redux onto each spacer.
When applying the stiff, flox=99ed Redux, I attempted to keep it a
tad away from the spacers, relying upon the =9Csquishing=9D
to fill any voidsmy clecos were spaced 6=9D apart...it
seemed to work AOK.

F.