RE: Europa-List: Tinnerman washers on cowling

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Tinnerman washers on cowling
From: Greg Fuchs <gregoryf.flyboy@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2014 12:02:45
Just a quick addition here:
One reason for the question of whether the tinnerman sits on or flush to the
surface is to get the thickness of material between the two sides of the
fastener just right. It seems to work best at  just the proper thickness.
Any changes later would require re-doing the receptacle, requiring a lot of
time. It might be an easier question to answer if I knew the cowl was built
up with layers of glass only. Any less-dense filler between the inner and
outer layers might compromise strength in a rebated but flush-set fastening
system. With the cowl being all white, there is no way to see through. It
seems to be all glass..I just cannot tell for sure, especially with some
dimpling being seen around the clecos. I'd like to start placing fasteners
today or tomorrow..

The Europa is quite a clean aircraft aerodynamically, with nice sleek lines
and smooth skins, so I was envisioning an all-flat cowl fastening system
(similar in concept to a flush-fitting screw head), but I have been told on
occasion, that I am 'overthinking' something.
Maybe this is one of those times?

  _____