Europa-List: anti-corrosion coating of tailwheel spring arm

Subject: Europa-List: anti-corrosion coating of tailwheel spring arm
From: Rowland Carson <rowlandcarson@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2014 12:45:30

After a recent presentation at the Gloster Strut where the aircraft on display
had all its steel parts electro-phoretic coated, I made enquiries at the firm
the builder had used about anti-corrosion treatment on my tailwheel spring arm.
The guy I talked to advised that the EP coating is a bit like an epoxy paint,
and could start to go chalky after a few years. But as Id be liable for the
minimum charge anyway, he suggested I have instead a much more effective
treatment
which is a type of zinc plating and results in a greenish finish that can
be sprayed over for cosmetic appearance. However, that process involves an acid
bath and could lead to hydrogen embrittlement if the arm is high-tensile steel.
He said it should be OK if the steel was not high-tensile - above about 60
ton or 1040 Newtons.

Does anyone know the specification of the steel used for the tailwheel arm?

Or - has anyone a better suggestion for corrosion protection?

in friendship

Rowland