Europa-List: trimming fuselage upper moulding firewall flange

Subject: Europa-List: trimming fuselage upper moulding firewall flange
From: Rowland Carson <rowlandcarson@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2014 15:14:11

I've had the pre-bond inspections all signed off and am hoping to organise a
Redux
posse soon to glue the fuselage top on.

I note that the forward end flange which fits against the firewall is quite
generous
compared to the flanges elsewhere, which are between 35mm & 50mm wide. I'm
intending to trim the flange for the firewall joint back to about 40mm, but
thought I'd check to see if anyone thought that is a bad idea. There doesn't
seem to be any explicit advice about trimming that area in the manual, but fig
8 on page 23M-5 seems to suggest that a 25mm flange is OK, since the BID tapes
it illustrates going across the joint are only 50mm wide.

Any thoughts welcome.

in friendship

Rowland