Re: Europa-List: trimming fuselage upper moulding firewall flange

Subject: Re: Europa-List: trimming fuselage upper moulding firewall flange
From: Tony Renshaw <tonyrenshaw268@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2014 14:09:28

Hi Rowland,
Will you have another can of Redux at the redy, borrowed or bought, just in case
you need a little more?not a good time to find out you need more, and have to
scrape a whole can off, and throw it in the bin for the sake of 5-10% more.
Something to ponder.
Regards
Tony Renshaw

Sent from my iPad

> On 2 Aug 2014, at 12:14 am, Rowland Carson <rowlandcarson@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> I've had the pre-bond inspections all signed off and am hoping to organise a
Redux posse soon to glue the fuselage top on.

> I note that the forward end flange which fits against the firewall is quite
> generous
compared to the flanges elsewhere, which are between 35mm & 50mm wide.
I'm intending to trim the flange for the firewall joint back to about 40mm, but
thought I'd check to see if anyone thought that is a bad idea. There doesn't
seem to be any explicit advice about trimming that area in the manual, but fig
8 on page 23M-5 seems to suggest that a 25mm flange is OK, since the BID tapes
it illustrates going across the joint are only 50mm wide.