RE: Europa-List: Re: DOOR detached during flight

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Re: DOOR detached during flight
From: Karl Heindl <kheindl@msn.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2014 11:58:01
John=2C
But is it not desirable that the hinges fail when the door opens in flight
? Rather than having the door flapping about and doing untold damage ?Karl

> Subject: Europa-List: Re: DOOR detached during flight
> From: john@wighton.net
> Date: Fri=2C 4 Jul 2014 00:26:43 -0700
> To: europa-list@matronics.com
>

> Can we just get one thing straight - the hinge did not break.  The struct
ure has torn away around the hinge due to a tear-out failure mode.  The for
ce generated by the door flying up means that almost any airworthy structur
e would have failed.

> There is nothing wrong with the hinge design or manufacture.  Build to th
e spec and ensure the pins are engaged and the system is 100% reliable.

> Any changes to this area is deemed to be a mod and would need to be justi
fied by a stress analysis and design submission to the LAA (in the UK).