Europa-List: Ammeters & Voltmeters

Subject: Europa-List: Ammeters & Voltmeters
From: Fred Klein <fklein@orcasonline.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2014 19:56:50

After reading Bud's post a few moments ago, I have a couple of general questions
about ammeters and voltmeters which perhaps an expert can answer for me.

Up til now, I've planned to measure the voltage at the plus side of the
battery...Is
that the best place to measure?...or are there multiple places where voltage
should be measured?...and how is that accomplished?...with a rotary switch?

Similarly, I've planned to place my ammeter in series on the output side of the
alternator...will that do?...or again, are there multiple places where amperage
should be measured?...and if so, where?...and how is that generally
accomplished?...with
a rotary switch?

(I have the EXP 2 Bus by Control Vision along w/ their indicator module;
however,
the word I'm getting from others is that the warning lights on the module are
not to be trusted, and that led to my purchasing a delightful little pair of
Mitchell instruments.)

Fred