Europa-List: Altimeter

Subject: Europa-List: Altimeter
From: spcialeffects <spcialeffects@aol.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 2013 10:42:29

Ladies and gentlemen of the forum, not sure if this is a stupid question or not
but I don't know the answer and so hoped someone a little more knowledgeable
than me could enlighten me with the answer. If an altimeter only reads up to
10000ft
what happens to it if you go to say 12/15000ft? Will it blow up? Does it
not have a quantified amount of air in a chamber which expands the higher you
go? The reason I ask the question is that I am going to have a glass cockpit
(dynon skyview) but need an old style altimeter as a back up. There's one that
reads up to 10000ft for 280ish but the same one reading up to 20000ft is 780ish!
500 difference is quite a lot so that's the reason for my question, that's
not to say I'm going flying over 10000ft all the time. Thanks Frank

Read this topic online here: