Re: Europa-List: Altimeter

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Altimeter
From: Andrew Sarangan <asarangan@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 2013 16:11:12

I doubt the capsule will blow up if you go higher. May be at 100,000
ft it might. Most likely the 10,000 ft limit has to do with the
calibration range. If you go higher, it may stop moving (if it has an
internal mechanical stop) or it may simply continue reading into the
uncalibrated range, but 11,000 ft may show as 1000 ft. Since this is
really for backup at low altitudes, I would just use it and decide
later if it is worth upgrading.

Alternatively, as Fred pointed out, you can get sensitive altimeters
with three pointers for under USD $300 at aircraft spruce.

On Sun, Dec 8, 2013 at 1:42 PM, spcialeffects <spcialeffects@aol.com> wrote:

> Ladies and gentlemen of the forum, not sure if this is a stupid question or
> not
but I don't know the answer and so hoped someone a little more knowledgeable
than me could enlighten me with the answer. If an altimeter only reads up to
10000ft what happens to it if you go to say 12/15000ft? Will it blow up? Does
it not have a quantified amount of air in a chamber which expands the higher
you go? The reason I ask the question is that I am going to have a glass cockpit
(dynon skyview) but need an old style altimeter as a back up. There's one that
reads up to 10000ft for 280ish but the same one reading up to 20000ft is 780ish!
500 difference is quite a lot so that's the reason for my question, that's
not to say I'm going flying over 10000ft all the time. Thanks Frank