Re: Europa-List: Altimeter

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Altimeter
From: Fred Klein <fklein@orcasonline.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 2013 11:09:49

On Dec 8, 2013, at 10:42 AM, spcialeffects wrote:

> If an altimeter only reads up to 10000ft what happens to it if you go
to say 12/15000ft? Will it blow up? Does it not have a quantified amount
of air in a chamber which expands the higher you go? The reason I ask
the question is that I am going to have a glass cockpit (dynon skyview)
but need an old style altimeter as a back up. There's one that reads up
to 10000ft for =C2=A3280ish but the same one reading up to 20000ft is
=C2=A3780ish! =C2=A3500 difference is quite a lot so that's the reason
for my question,

Frank...I can't answer your questions, but would suggest you look
further for a moderately priced altimeter...I too am fitting the Skyview
and have a 2.25" UMA steam gauge (calibrated to 20k feet) for which I
paid about $200 USD.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpages/UMA_altimeters2.php?clickkey
=28151

Regards,

Fred

PS: I'm persuaded that there are no stupid questions on this forum.