Re: Europa-List: Alternative fuel tank mounting?

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Alternative fuel tank mounting?
From: Andrew Sarangan <asarangan@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2013 15:05:23

Karl

Thank you for the comment. This was my concern too. However, after
staring at the canoe floor, I am not so sure if there is really any
difference.  Even with the standard installation, the majority of the
load is borne by on the baggage bay wall, which is eventually bonded
to the fuselage floor anyway. The floor where the baggage bay bonds
and the floor directly beneath the tank are on the same piece of
reinforced foam. So in terms of load, I can't see any difference
whether the tank is directly sitting on the canoe floor or if it is
supported by the baggage bay which is subsequently supported by the
canoe floor.

Also, I am also having a hard time understanding why the top ledge of
the tank requires a separate support. My measurement says there is
only about 2 gallons of fuel here, so 12 lbs is hardly worth bonding
with 6 plies of glass for its entire length.

If anyone has any insights into this, I'd love to hear.

Thank you!