RE: Europa-List: sight gauge alternative

Subject: RE: Europa-List: sight gauge alternative
From: Bob Harrison <ptag.dev@tiscali.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2013 10:54:23
Hi! Guys,

I've been sort of watching your deliberations and have a small contribution
which may not be relevant but sufficiently important for me to speak up.

When you calibrate the fuel levels into any pressure sensing of the depth of
fuel being measured remember to "allow for" the fact that when the aircraft
is brim full the column of fuel above the tank top in the filler pipe
appears to nearly double the depth of fuel being measured.

I used to have  one of Tony K's systems and so had great difficulty with
fixing the "Full" reading to actually represent the tank top volume which
greatly reduced the accuracy of the full range of readings. This is in no
way intended a criticism of his transducer system, but more an illustration
of my computer illiteracy !

For interest G-PTAG has no external tank vents but they actually pass into a
collection bottle in the cabin top( with a drain back  to tank pipe) and
continue inside over the roof and  down to exit near the port side flap
hinge bracket. I have never had any issues with venting or loss of fuel on
refuelling in any weather conditions or temperatures for my main Europa Tank
or my long range aluminium tank.

Regards

Bob Harrison G-PTAG  Rotax 914.