Re: IMC training in Europa [was: Re: Europa-List: Re: Sub Panels....than

Subject: Re: IMC training in Europa [was: Re: Europa-List: Re: Sub Panels....thanks]
From: Alan Burrill <alanb@dpy01.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2013 18:39:52

Thanks Rowland.

I was a bit constrained on an iPhone but looking on a bigger machine I obviously
missed the flow diagram and previous section 3 on sole owners.

Seems to have cleared up the matter though.

Alan
On 14 Oct 2013, at 18:21, Rowland Carson <rowlandcarson@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 14 Oct 2013, at 17:35, Alan Carter wrote:
>

>> Hi, Found it.
>> 1.1 It is often thought that flying training is not permitted in private
>> aircraft,
or at least that only a limited amount of training is allowed. In
>> fact, there is no restriction on training in private aircraft, but as with
>> any
activity in an aircraft that is normally only used for private recreational
>> purposes there are restrictions on what can be paid1 for in relation to the
flight.
>> 1.2 The basic position is that if someone pays for something in relation to
a flight, the flight is no longer private, but either aerial work,
>> public transport or commercial air transport. Aircraft that operate under a
Certificate of Airworthiness (CofA) and are only maintained to a
>> standard appropriate for private use or aircraft that operate under a Permit
to Fly (hereafter jointly referred to as 'private aircraft') can only
>> be used for private flights.
>>
>> Then it goes on further down  to this.
>>
>> Note: Training for the initial issue of an NPPL, PPL, CPL, IMC Rating,
>> Instrument
Rating or other 'ab initio' training is not permitted. The
>> intention is to allow individuals to pay for training that enables them to
>> regain
currency, renew a licence, learn a new skill (such as
>> short field landings) or become familiar with a new type etc.
>>
>> I never understand the wording of these things, But to me it looks like you
can't,, I think I will go along with that, unless someone tells me different..

> Alan - the note "further down" refers only to the joint ownership paragraphs
(the same note appears twice, first in section 4.3 and then in section 4.4);
there
is no such note in Section 3. I agree that it's easy to get confused, but
careful reading is rewarded by a measure of understanding.

> Have another look at Annex A (the flowchart). If you are a sole owner you
> finish
up in the central box where NO conditions are stipulated. If the aircraft
is in joint ownership you finish up in one of the other boxes which includes
Condition
A - "Training must not be towards the grant of a licence or a rating
in a licence".

> I'm not sure why this difference is made - perhaps it's to prevent a
> group-ownership
scheme setting up as an unregulated flying school.