Europa-List: MOD 78

Subject: Europa-List: MOD 78
From: djaflyact <djaflyact@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2013 23:40:08

Hello Europa Builders,
I've been off this list for a while, but here I am again. I've got the mono
wheel
motor glider with about 550 hours on it now. I believe mine was the first
customer
long wing to fly.

Now I am starting the infamous Mod 78. Has anyone successfully done this mod
themselves
yet? I have just started by pulling the wings and organizing the hangar
in anticipation of the big job. The first thing I have noticed is the front
pin and socket on the fuselage has significantly more play in it than the
original
socket. Was this socket replacement due to a structural considerations or
just the make the rigging easier? It seems that socket location sets the angle
if incidence and I would think there should be virtually no play there. The
pin has a shoulder on it and I was thinking that the shoulder was what does the
trick. It doesn't seem to, though.

On the other hand, I did see a couple small parts wrapped in the package, so
possibly
there is some part I am not considering. I have not seen any drawings or
pictures of the new socket.

I hope this mod goes well. After getting all the angles and rigging set, its
hard
to tear that all apart again - especially after flying it for over 10 years
now.

Thanks,

Dave Anderson
A227 - Motorglider (no short wings)