Re: Europa-List: Spar won't come off the socket!!

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Spar won't come off the socket!!
From: K BURNS <kjburns@btinternet.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2013 22:06:36
Andrew,=0AI concur that heat will soften the bond, but a paint stripping ho
t air/ heat gun is probably-the tool for this job, but would recommend yo
u practice on some uncured scraps of fiberglass first ,apply the heat and y
ou can see that the resin will soften enough to peel the layers of glass ap
art,-also protect your spar around the socket, wet towels or similar.. yo
u can set up-a temperature probe on the spar if you want to be sure you d
o not ruin it...=0A-=0ATo set some limits to help you prevent damage to w
ing / spar or surrounding areas ,some guide temps used for post hardening 5
0 degrees centigrade for areas near blue foam.... 80 degrees for areas wher
e no blue foam ,while piece is fully supported (as parts will deform)-is
used to heat soak-composite over 18 hour period.=0A-=0ABy testing with
a piece of steel on a glass fibre scrap..or flox and resin scrap you will e
stablish how long you need to apply the heat to the socket to allow you to
pull the wings apart.=0A-=0AGood Luck !=0A-=0AKevin=0A-=0A-=0A =0A
=0A________________________________=0A From: Andrew Sarangan <asarangan@gma
il.com>=0ATo: Europa List <europa-list@matronics.com> =0ASent: Sunday, 22 S
eptember 2013, 19:54=0ASubject: Europa-List: Spar won't come off the socket
!!=0A  =0A=0A=0AI am hoping someone will have a great idea to solve this pr
oblem. I just finished gluing the spar sockets, but-I am-unable to with
draw the port spar out of the starboard socket. I-was able to get the bol
ts-out quite easily.-It also doesn't look like the spar got glued to an
ything, because I am able to rotate the-spar, and wiggle it just but it w
on't slide out of the socket. What I suspect is that some flox might have
-oozed into the-inside face-of the socket which and might be preventi
ng the bushing from sliding out. I greased everything, but did not grease t
he inside faces of the sockets.--If all fails I was going-to cut the
outer face of the socket to extract the spar. Perhaps I could reglue that f