Re: Europa-List: Fuel tank question

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Fuel tank question
From: Andrew Sarangan <asarangan@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Jul 2013 13:20:09

Thanks for all the ideas. The problem, as I understand now, is the
attachment mechanism, and not necessarily the swelling. If the tank
can be supported without bonding its surfaces, then it should be able
to relieve the stresses as it expands and contracts. That's what I am
gathering from these discussions.

More puzzling is, it seems there is no agreement on what the tank is
made of. Just in the last few emails, I've heard Polypropylene, HDPE,
LDPE all mentioned, and Yerly's article says it is PTFE. I am somewhat
familiar with different polymers, and these are all very different
materials. I doubt it is PTFE because it is super expensive and
nothing will stick to it. I know a chemical test to identify different
polymers, but I would need a small chunk of the material. If I ever
figure that out, I will make sure to post my results here.